- Detect tires, ribs and bolts in real-time by continuously observing the side view of the moving mold by a camera (Fig. 2),
- Verify the detected positions further by using a tactile sensor, and
- Execute different actions in response to the detected object types. Namely, in case of tires or ribs, a manipulator takes more or less backward position to avoid bumping, and in case of bolts, it follows the mold motion and fastens or loosens them while the mold is moving.
- IR-100 Award (USA), 1974
- Best Paper Award, Pattern Recognition Society (USA), 1978
- SME's Half-Century Award for the year 1973, Society of Manufacturing Engineers (USA), 1982